Literacy History - Blog Assignment # 1
Hello, my name is Safia Ilboudo. I was born and raised in Burkina Faso, West Africa, and moved to New Jersey eight years ago. I am majoring in Accounting, and this is my final year at NJCU. I’m very excited to be finishing this chapter of my academic journey.
My career goal is to build a professional path in accounting, and I hope to pursue certifications such as CPA or CMA in the future. I took this class to improve my reading, writing, and symbolic communication throughout human history, from the first writing systems in ancient times to the modern concept of functional and critical thinking. From this course, I hope to strengthen my understanding of accounting principles and learn how to apply them in real-world situations.
My earliest memories of literacy go back to when I first moved to the United States. I was not speaking or understanding any words in English. In my country, we speak French and other ethnic languages. We learn and speak French in school for all classes but we also learn English in English class and besides that it was challenging to speak it outside class because nobody understands or speaks the english outside school. But being in this country my parents were my first guides, encouraging me to sit with books and practice simple reading habits. They valued education deeply.
At school, my experiences were both challenging and inspiring; Learning how to read and speak in English, the official language of education, was not easy because it was different from the local languages I spoke at home or back in my country. Still, my teachers were patient, guiding me through the basics of sounding out words and forming letters. I remember the pride I felt the first time I read a full passage aloud in class. It gave me confidence and showed me that perseverance could bring results. I had strong support from both family and teachers.
Outside of school, literacy showed up in everyday life, like speaking to people in English and me not understanding what they are saying. These community practices showed me that literacy was not limited to school. It was present in faith, commerce, and social connection. Seeing literacy in action made me understand its practical value and inspired me to keep improving my own skills.
As a young learner, I enjoyed speaking with my teachers or classmates. What frustrated me most was when I struggled with pronunciation but even those struggles pushed me to practice more and to seek help when needed.
Role models played a significant role in shaping my literacy journey. My teachers, especially, stood out as people who dedicated their lives to helping others succeed. Their encouragement gave me a vision of what education could do. My parents, even if they did not have the same level of schooling, modeled perseverance and determination. They showed me that literacy was not only about books but also about resilience and growth.
Today, I see myself as a confident, literate person. Literacy is not just reading and writing, it is the ability to analyze, communicate, and express myself across languages, cultures, and professional fields. I feel proud of the progress I have made, especially as I adapted to life in the United States eight years ago. Learning to study and communicate in English was a new literacy challenge, but it has become one of my greatest accomplishments.
In my personal life, I use literacy every day, as I connect with others whether it is through social media, email, or professional presentations. I continue to be inspired by mentors, professors, and peers who push me to grow in my literacy practices. Looking back, I realize that every stage of my literacy journey listening to family stories, struggling through French texts, adapting to English, and applying accounting principles has shaped the person I am today. Literacy has given me resilience, confidence, and purpose. It is not only my foundation but also my future, guiding me as I move forward in both my personal life and professional career.



Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire